Monday 23 September 2013

Idea + Character Development

I've decided my first idea already and I have been thinking of what I wanted to do for my second idea. I came up with making an 30 second animation for a song. I chose Fly Me To The Moon by Frank Sinatra, because it is reasonably slow so it would be easier to animate lip sync to and for the first 30 seconds of the song there isn't too much singing, but what I also liked is that because it's quite a jazzy song I could cut to a piano show, fingers clicking along to the beat of a foot tapping. So overall I would still have lip syncing in my animation, but there wouldn't be so much focus on it that it would get boring to watch. 
I also had an idea to give it a little comical twist by having Sinatra's voice but have a young girl character doing the 'singing', however I scrapped this idea and am sticking with a male character.


The above video is where I will be getting the audio from. I already started on a few characters designs, I may add some extra characters in here and there if time allows it, but for the main part I will just be focusing on the one character and a little background. The idea is just the character being on stage doing a live performance, so at the end I may add in some applause audio clips and in a shot or two the silhouettes of an audience to set the scene. 





My character concepts are pretty much sticking to the time of Frank Sinatra, because I want the animation style (and characters) to still have that old fashioned look to them, thought the animation will be in colour rather than black and white, I'm also thinking of dismissing the patterned idea I wanted to use as this wont fit in with the style.


I tested ut adding patterns the main character design, but I changed the opacity of the pattern so it wasn't so bright. The result isn't that bad and I think I might use it, if I do I will only use the pattern on the suit jacket and hat - which are the same colour so they would be the same pattern, as well as using another pattern on the hair and eyebrows. Here the eyes also have the pattern on them but I think I will just keep them black.


This was the young girl design I was going to use before I changed it to a male character, I did a couple variations in here colour scheme because I wasn't sure what colours to use for her outfit.

1 comment:

  1. Nice character designs. Would like to see some modelsheets for them.

    ReplyDelete